|2014 Hobby Stock Rules
|2014 HOBBY STOCK RULES
1. Any American made rear wheel drive car. Any full size half-ton
truck, manufactured by Ford, General Motors, or Chrysler. No vans, 4WD’
s or sport utilities.
2. Wheel base minimum shall be 107.5 inches.
3. Car and/or truck bodies must be completely OEM steel. Plastic
nose caps or valances permitted.
4. No mirrors’ allowed.
1. The roll cage shall be constructed using 1.50 or 1.75 inch outside
diameter steel tubing or greater with a minimum wall thickness .095
inches. No tubing on the car can be greater than 2 inches in diameter.
Six point cage consisting of four-point center section and “kicker bars”.
Kickers may be “X” braced. Center section of cage must consist of main
hoop with “X” bracing and halo that clears the driver’s head when he/she
is strapped in with his/her helmet on. The four points of the cage center
section must be securely welded to the car’s frame rails or mounted on a
steel 4x4 pads welded to unibodies. Windshield bar required. A minimum
of three driver’s side door bars are required to be plated with at least 18
gauge steel metal plating. Passenger side “Z” bracing required-
minimum. Driver and passenger doors may be gutted as necessary to fit
the cage. Doors must be securely fastened, if running two (2) seats;
passenger side needs to be the same requirements as driver’s side door.
2. Front cage hoop permitted. Inner fender wells may be removed.
3. Roll bar padding is mandatory where driver can come in contact with
the cage. All roll bar padding in driver’s compartment must be fire
4. Nerf bar may extend up to 2” beyond factory body and must
terminate inward and contain no sharp edges.
5. Every cage must have at least one halo bar and one in the center.
6. Fuel cell is mandatory. Must be located in trunk mounted securely.
Pickup trucks must use a metal enclosed fuel cell mounted securely in
the bed area between the frame rails. Metal enclosed fuel cells must use
no greater that ten (10) gauge steel bar/material. If fuel cell is dropped
below car must be surrounded by at least 18 gauge covering bottom of
fuel cell. No more than three (3) foot of rubber hose on fuel system may
be hooked to stock fuel line. Must have ground strap. Steel fuel filters
7. Each fuel cell must be fuel tight and have a functional roll over
1. Each race team must have a fire extinguisher in or on the trailer or
rear of the tow vehicle. Must have car # painted on it and accompany the
car to pre-tech.
2. Fire extinguishers must be visible and accessible.
3. In-car fire extinguishers must be securely mounted. If not secure, it
will need to be remounted or removed. No zip-tied extinguishers.
1. Drivers must have Snell 2000 or better rated helmet.
2. The strap and clasp must be in good functional condition.
3. Helmet cannot have any cracks.
4. Helmet must be worn at all times while vehicle is on the track and
must accompany vehicle at time of inspection.
1. Driving suit, gloves, racing shoes, and neck roll are mandatory and
must be SFI-approved fire retardant. SFI approved head-socks and
Hans/Hutchins devices are highly recommended. Driver’s using a
Hans/Hutchins device are exempt from using a neck roll. No driver will be
allowed to race with street shoes. All safety gear must be in good
2. Seat belts must be five-point and 3” minimum.
3. All belts must be roll bar typed or securely mounted to roll cage.
4. Belts may be no more than three (3) years old.
5. No worn or sun rotted belts. Tattered fibers, nonfunctional clasps
and insufficient mounting points will be cause for vehicle to fail tech.
1. Window net will be mounted so it can be accessible by the driver
and Safety Crew.
2. Webbed net only, minimum size of 16”X20”.
3. Window nets must be SFI approved.
SEATS & BELTS
1. All vehicles must have an aluminum seat fastened to the roll cage
ONLY. Do not attach to car body. Side bolsters and side impact head
supports are recommended.
2. Seat covers and padding must be fire retardant.
3. Seat must be mounted with 4-3/8” bolts, in at least four (4) points.
4. Five (5) point type harnesses required with three (3) inch waist and
5. Belts must be 3 years old or newer.
If running two-seater, passenger side must be same as driver’s side.
1. Battery must be securely mounted in a box within the driver’s
compartment, marine type or better. One battery only per car. NO
BATTERY IN TRUNK OF VEHICLE.
2. Driver’s compartment must be sealed from engine and fuel cell by at
least an 18 gauge steel sheet. Driver must do everything possible to keep
the driver’s compartment completely sealed off from the engine and trunk
3. Any fluid transfer through cab must be double walled steel and
securely fastened and to be shielded from the driver. Subject to tech
4. All glass and trim must be removed. No additional gutting or
removal of sheet metal is allowed. Except for hood.
5. No loose objects in the cab.
6. A battery kill switch is MANDATORY and switch must be in the
reach of the driver and Safety Crew.
1. Engine and related components must remain stock as
manufactured. No angle plug heads or on GM engines. No vortex
heads. Blocks, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds must be OEM cast
iron. No rollerized valve train components. No grinding, polishing, or
porting of any kind to the intake exhaust runners or manifolds. No bow tie
blocks or heads.
2. No stroker engines.
3. No roller cams, flat tappet cams only.
4. Radiators must be mounted in stock position.
5. Electrical fuel pumps ok with an oil pressure switch or inertia switch
mandatory, and stock power steering systems are required.
6. Engine must be mounted in stock position with stock style mounts.
7. All exhaust must exit outside or beyond the body. No exhaust
components in driver compartment.
8. Distributors must be OEM or OEM direct replacement, no magneto’s.
9. OEM and factory transmissions mandatory. Working stock torque
converter with fluid required. Stock clutch mandatory. Must have a
minimum ¼ inch flat strap or some sort of protective shield on the bell
housing. Steel Fly wheels only.
10. Spec carburetor Unmodified Holley 4412’s only, not exceed 500 cfm.
Restrictor plate use is optional.
a. No after-market metering blocks.
b. Changing of squirters, jets, and power valves is OK.
c. Removal of choke plate mandatory.
d. All 4412’s are subject to passing a no-go gauge.
e. One (1) adapter no more than one (1) inch in height. No tampering
11. Gasoline/110 race fuel OK, no methanol.
12. Electric cooling fans are permitted.
13. Radiator spray bar, pump and reservoir are permitted. Maximum
reservoir capacity is five (5) gallons. System must be operational.
Reservoir and system components must be securely mounted. Reservoir
can only be mounted in the driver’s compartment.
14. All bumpers are required to be chained securely to the frame,
rounded inward, or attached to fenders. No excessive reinforcement of the
bumper (at discretion of track officials).
15. Locked rear ends optional. No traction control device allowed. Nine
inch Ford allowed. 1 inch inspection hole in rear end center section
required. Drive shaft must be painted white with car number on it. Drive
shaft hoop mandatory.
FRAME, SUSPENSION, WHEELS & TIRES
1. Unibody car may create frame to tie front and rear suspension
together must go from rear of front sub to front of rear sub only and no
under-slung rear suspension. Shocks must mount in stock location using
2. Suspension mounting points, trailing arms, control arms and sway
bars must remain stock factory unmodified. No weight jacking devices,
spring spacers, adjustable spring shackles, sliders, or lowering blocks.
Suspension components must match year, make and model of the car. 1
inch wheel spacers are allowed. Spindle savers are optional.
3. Adjustable upper A arms allowed.
4. One (1) inch leg nuts mandatory.
5. No recaps, heavy lug, mud terrain or studded snow tires. Tires
must not be any wider than 9 inch tread max. IMCA branded G60-15 tires
are optional. Bead lock optional, right rear only.
6. No additional weight or ballast of any kind may be added anywhere
on the car.
7. Brakes must function on all four wheels. No adjustable brake
proportioning valves of any kind or shut off devices. Emergency brake
cable must be cut or removed. Any non functional brake may result in
disqualification. Subject to tech approval.
8. All brake components including pedal, master cylinder, calipers,
rotors, spindles, drums and related subcomponents must be stock or
OEM replacement in stock position.
9. Steering system must be stock or OEM replacement for make and
model used. Steering shaft may be changed but it must be a collapsible
10. No steering quickners allowed.